Hello, guys! We’ve recently made a few Xiaomi Mi5X related posts and right now we decided to make a really simple one for complete newbies. Let’s assume this is your first Xiaomi smartphone (great choice!) and continue to our flashing tutorial. You’ll also learn how you can easily create Mi Account, unlock bootloader and even flash custom android ROM on your phone.
Xiaomi Mi 5X – Newbie Tutorial and Flashing Guidance
How to create Mi Account for Xiaomi Mi 5X
To start, we’ll need to have working Mi Account and network access. In case you already have an Mi Account you can easily skip this part. But if you’ve just brought your first Xiaomi phone, then you can create one for yourself by using your phone number.
- Start your phone and go to “Settings” > “Mi Account”.
- Now tap on “Create account using phone number”.
- Enter your phone number to receive an SMS with verification code.
- In case you can’t use your phone number you can also create account using an email. To do this follow this link: https://account.xiaomi.com/pass/register
- After you’ve successfully verified your Mi Account, sign into your account and look for your account ID, it will be required later.
- That’s pretty much it, you’ve registered your own Mi Account!
How to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Mi5X
To flash TWRP Custom Recovery and Custom ROM on your Xiaomi Mi 5X you’ll first need to unlocked bootloader.
- First of all you’ll need to enable “Developer options” on your smartphone.
- After you’ve enabled developer options go to “Additional Settings” > “Developer options” and select “Mi Unlock Status”. If the bootloader is already unlocked just continue to the flashing part. If bootloader is locked, then press “Add account and device”.
- Try entering your Mi Account.
- In case you get 10008 error while unlocking your Xiaomi Mi 5X you’ll need to download VPN Turbo Free app.
- Install VPN Turbo and select Chinese server.
- Next go to Settings > VPN and check if everything is enabled.
- Go back to “Settings” > “Additional settings” > “Developer options” > “Mi Unlock status”.
- Try pressing the “Add account and device” button again.
- If nothing happens just try pressing a few more times.
- Now you should finally get the official unlock permission. Now you’ll need to wait 72 hours to pass until you can completely unlock bootloader on your Mi 5X phone.
How to use Mi Unlock to Unlock Mi5X
- Download the latest version of Mi Unlock 2.3.803.10 for Xiaomi Mi 5X.
- Now start your phone in fastboot mode. To boot Mi5X in fastboot , turn it off first, then press “Power” + “Volume Down” buttons at the same time. After Mi logo appeared on the screen release the power button and hold “Volume Down” until you’ll see fastboot text on the screen.
- Next start the Mi Unlock, enter your Mi account and connect your phone in fastboot mode to PC via USB cable.
- Now press “Unlock” button.
- If 72 hours passed you will successfully unlock bootloader at this point.
- Now you can continue with flashing your Mi5X phone.
How to flash TWRP Custom Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5X
- To install Custom Recovery on your Mi5X smartphone you’ll first need to enable USB Debugging.
- Go to “Settings” > “Additional settings” > “Developer options”. Find “USB Debugging” there and enable it.
- Now connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Download Mini ADB Drivers for Mi5X: Mini_Adb.rar
- Unpack download archive and make sure the phone is connected to PC.
- From ADB folder run the “command.bat” file and type “adb devices” to check if device is found.
- Type “adb REBOOT bootloader” to boot your phone in fastboot mode.
- Now enter “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img” to flash Custom Recovery (where twrp.img is the name of recovery image file).
- That’s it! TWRP Custom Recovery should be now installed on your device.
How to flash Xiaomi Mi 5X with TWRP Custom Recovery
- Download the ROM .zip archive you want to flash on your device.
- Copy downloaded ROM to your smartphone memory. For example in “Downloads” folder.
- Reboot your device in Recovery mode. To do this press and hold “Volume Up” and “Power” buttons at the same time, then wait for short vibration signal and release “Power” button, keep holding “Volume Up” and wait until your phone boots into recovery mode.
- If everything was done correctly, your device should boot into TWRP and you’ll see a main menu of TWRP Custom Recovery.
- Go to “Wipe” > “Advanced Wipe” and select everything except “MicroSD” and “OTG” partitions. Please pay attention that all data will be deleted from your smartphone, so make backups if required.
- Now go to “Install” menu and select the ROM .zip file. Press “Install” to continue. Wait until installation is completed and device reboots into system (first startup may take longer than usual).
- Enjoy your freshly installed ROM!
That’s basically everything you need to know about unlocking and flashing your brand new Xiaomi Mi 5X Android OS smartphone.
- Mi Unlock Tool: miflash_unlock-en-2.3.803.10.zip
- Turbo VPN (free version): VPN Turbo Free VPN Proxy Unlimited VPN_v1.3.apk
- Mini ADB Tools & TWRP Custom Recovery for Mi 5X: Mini_Adb.rar